4 Things Guides and Lodges can do to improve your Social Media reach

1.  ConsistencyScreen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.16.37 PM

Being consistent is the most repeated social media advice.  Producing Posts, Tweets and Blog entries on a regular basis will keep your fans & followers not only apprised of what you and your business are up to, but will also increase the chances that they actually see your post.

*Remember the 80/20 Rule of Social Media- 20% of your updates are about your business, the other 80% are made up of conversations, topics and anything outside of your business.  This increases the level of interaction between you and your followers-supporters.

2.  Update your Facebook ProfileScreen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.15.54 PM

I see a lot of Guide and Lodge Facebook pages that are fantastic examples of great Social Media Marketing.  Often times I click on the ‘About’ section to get additional information.  Surprisingly, web addresses are often hard to come by.  Notice the screen shot above, the web address is listed in the ‘About’, giving readers easy access to the AlaskaFlyShop.net website.

How to do it:

A.  Click “Edit Page”, choose “Update Profile’

B.  In the ‘Short Description’ box, enter your website on the bottom line. (note, you may have to shorten your description due to character limits)

C.  Save changes, view your page with your address now clearly available to all who visit.

*Claim your Facebook custom url:  Does your Facebook page look like this?

http//www.facebook.com/pages/AlaskaGuidelist/163016960411004

Claiming your custom url from Facebook will increase your chances of being found via Facebook’s Search engine and look like this:

http://www.facebook.com/AlaskaGuidelist

How to do it?

A.  Click “Edit Page”, choose “Update Profile’

B.  Click on the ‘Username’ box. Enter the name you desire.

Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.22.12 PM3.  Reward Facebook Fan Loyalty

This application basically tracks your Facebook Page Fans and keeps track of the number of times your supporters ‘Like’, ‘Share’, ‘Comment’, etc.  Any kind of interaction they have with your page is tallied giving you a snapshot, better described as a leader board. (See left)

What do you do next?  Reward your top fans!  Wether it be your custom logo’d items like stickers or hats, be it once a month or once a week, a small token of your appreciation goes a long way.

Get the ‘Top Fans’ app here.

4. Integrate with YouTubeScreen Shot 2013-02-20 at 12.19.40 PM

With the new revolution of the moving picture, YouTube proves invaluable to adding an additional avenue for you to interact with clients, new and old.  Did one of your clients send you a copy of the video they made while fishing with you last season?  Do you have videos you have made that you would like to share with clients, new and old?

Create and brand your YouTube Channel.  Once you have created your YouTube Profile, the next step is to create playlists.  These lists can be categorized anyway you like.

A quick view of AlaskaGuideList’s YouTube Page shows you that we have playlists comprised of a variety of different topics; Alaska, Tips & Tricks, plus videos from all of the companies that we work with.  This gives you, the professional guide a number of different resources if you want to explore a brand, be entertained, or learn something new.

Potential clients can and will explore your online profiles, entertaining them via multiple mediums will give them a good feel of who you are and what they can expect.  Returning clients will also enjoy visiting your channel to reminisce about the trip they took with you, especially if they are featured.

You can also apply these basic principals to Vimeo, a video sharing platform that many folks in the fishing and hunting industries use to showcase their high definition videos & movies.  See Vimeo example here.

Need help or have questions? Drop us a comment.

Carry on.

One thought on “4 Things Guides and Lodges can do to improve your Social Media reach”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s